Thursday, March 6, 2008

It's Been a While ...

OK, a month is a loooooong time to go between posts. Sorry about that for anyone who is reading (is anyone reading?). Things have been a little busy, and I just haven't had much chance to sit down and blog the last few weeks. Will try to do better.

To make up, here are some random thoughts and experiences from the last few weeks.

1) This year, I have found myself following the race for the White House unlike any other time in the past. It is not because I have any particular rooting interest at this point - I still really have no clue as to who I am going to vote for - but just because the whole process is fascinating me. On the Republican side, you have John McCain, a guy who has never seemed to fit in as a stereotypical Republican. People wonder if he can move the far right of the party. He may not have to, in my opinion. If Hillary Clinton gets the nod on the Democratic side, I think her presence in the race would move the far right for McCain. I have always thought that the far right's support for Bush in 2000 was as much a reaction against the Clintons as it was support for Bush. On the Democratic side, there are a number of interesting issues developing. Could Obama and Clinton really share a ticket after some of the bitterness of recent weeks? Will Michigan and Florida suddenly become players again after first being told their delegates would not be seated at the convention? I have wondered if Obama was similar to McCain in the sense of not completely having the support of the Democratic "establishment". If the presidential race were to come down to these two, is there a lesson to be learned by their respective parties?

2) Duke-UNC Round 2 is Saturday. Yes, I know Ty Lawson is back. Yes, I know Tyler Hansbrough is the clear POY in the conference (can't say nation as confidently - have you seen Beasely play?). However, the game is in Cameron. If last night is any indication, the 3-pointers are starting to fall again. UNC still has problems defending the perimeter (Tyrese Rice 40+ points, Jason Rich almost 30 - and that is just the last 2 games). I think this game could be even better than the first game. I could see it coming down to one final shot, and I think Duke hits it. Gerald Henderson drive to the basket, just to really go out on a limb.

3) I have not been able to get a quote out of my head. William Wilberforce once wrote, "No one expects to attain to the heights of learning, or arts, or power, or wealth, or military glory without vigorous resolution, strenuous diligence, and steady perseverence. Yet we expect to be Christians without labor, study, or inquiry." Wow! He wrote that back around the turn of the 19th century. I can't help but think that his observation is still just as true today for Christianity in America as it was for Christianity in England. If you don't think so, maybe go check out the video at http://revealnow.com/story.asp?storyid=48. If there is one lesson I learned out of my sabbatical experience, it is that I cannot expect to grow in my faith if I am not willing to take responsibility to do so.

Just some random thoughts!

No comments: