Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Praying By the Hour

I tried an exercise yesterday that really came to have a lot of meaning. In the history of the Christian church, there exists a tradition where the local parish would ring a bell every hour on the hour as a call to the Christians in the community to stop and pray. I decided to try this practice using the alarm on my Palm Pilot. I think all I need to say is this - I am doing it again today.

What blew me away was how God has used these opportunities. Again and again yesterday the alarm would go off when I was just getting ready to pray with an individual going through a difficult time or when I was facing a decision that needed to be made. I went to the Duke/Tennessee women's basketball game last night, and it was right as we were singing the national anthem, and I stopped to pray for our country. The prayers were not always long involved prayers - sometimes they were just a few moments to meditate on God's presence in my day.

I really found great meaning and great encouragement through this practice, and I hope to make it a regular part of my day.

No comments: