Thursday, May 29, 2008

Water

This morning I went on a hike with a friend on one of the trails at a local park. The trail took me near a little river that was rolling over some rocks. We just stopped at that spot for about 10 minutes to enjoy the beauty of the scene.

I have come to the conclusion that I love water. I love to sit on the rocks by a river and dangle my feet in the cool water. I love to sit on the beach and listen to the waves roll in. I love to watch the rain fall outside my window. So often for me, I find myself encountering God in these moments.

As I stood by the this little river this morning, with the sound of the water rolling over the rocks, I couldn't help but think of the words of the prophet, "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an everflowing stream." As I thought of those words, I contemplated on the peace that I felt there by that flowing river. I think that is part of the prophetic message: when God's justice and righteousness flow in a current that cannot be stopped, the result is a sense of peace for those who gather in His midst. How desperately we need that peace as a world.

Indeed, let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an everflowing stream.

No comments: